What is HypnoBirthing®?
HypnoBirthing® was founded by Marie Mongan in 1989- Celebrating 28 years of positive birthing. HypnoBirthing® teaches women and their partners to reconnect with their natural ability to birth free from fear.
With certified educators in 46 countries around the world, HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method empowers and educates birthing couples over a comprehensive five week antenatal course. It is designed especially to serve the 95 per cent of families whose pregnancies fall into the normal, low or no risk categories.
HypnoBirthing® is a rewarding, relaxing, stress-free method of birthing that is based on the belief that when a mother is properly prepared for birthing physically, mentally, and spiritually, she can experience the joy of birthing her baby in an easier, more comfortable way.
HypnoBirthing® teaches a woman how to release all prior programming about birth to free herself of limiting thoughts and emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and resistant muscles. When giving birth with HypnoBirthing®, a mother is not in a trance or asleep but instead in a state of deep relaxation- awake, aware, and fully in control.
The ideas behind HypnoBirthing® are not new. In London in the 1920s Dr Grantly Dick-Read, an English Obstetrician, first introduced the concept of natural birthing by eliminating tension and fear. Following on from Dr Dick-Read's work, HypnoBirthing® teaches you that in the absence of fear and tension, severe pain does not have to accompany labour.
The HypnoBirthing® Advantage
- Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate tension and thereby reduces or eliminates discomfort or pain.
- Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs.
- Often shortens the first phase of labour.
- Leaves mother alert, fresh and awake with energy.
- Helps keep oxygen supplied to baby during birthing.
- Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labour.
- Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a gentle, calm birthing for themselves and their baby.
- Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birthing.
- Embraces the concept of pre-birth parenting.
- Reduces postnatal discomfort with breathing techniques.
"When you change the way you view birth, your birth will change"
Marie F. Mongan, 1999.
Research Supporting the HypnoBirthing® Advantage
Data provided by the HypnoBirthing® Institute, between 2005-2010 indicates that:
- 77% of HypnoBirthing® mothers who birthed vaginally did so without epidural anaesthesia.
- 45% of HypnoBirthing® mothers birthed in under eight hours.
- 17% of mothers birthed via C-section, compared with the national average of 32%.
- 9.5% of HypnoBirthing® mothers chose to birth in the comfort of their homes (national average is less than 1%).
- 6% of HypnoBirthing® mothers chose to birth in freestanding birth centres (national average is less than 1%).
"My dream is that every woman everywhere will know the joy of a safe, satisfying birth, for both her herself and her baby”
Marie F. Mongan 1999