1:14 Why are the HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method sessions held over 5 weeks instead of a weekend?
The five week HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method course gives adequate time for practice, reflection, time to get to know your baby (with prenatal bonding) and to know what and how you wish to birth. Your HypnoBirthing® Practitioner will help you over this time to become confident and relaxed.
A weekend course can create information overload, and thereby not provide enough opportunity for you to become familiar with the HypnoBirthing® techniques. This program has been cleverly designed over the 5 sessions to release fears and to gain positive birth preparation.
2:14 What are some of the benefits during the HypnoBirthing® Course?
- Supported Learning- learning is so much more effective when you have the chance to ask questions and when practical skills can be personally demonstrated. In class you will be able to contribute to group discussions, ask many questions, try the practical techniques and receive feedback from the HypnoBirthing® Practitioner until you feel confident and have mastered each technique.
- Partner engagement- partners* are an important part of HypnoBirthing®. Attending the course together supports a dedicated 12.5 hours of partner engagement and they are than more likely to commit to practicing the techniques with you. Thus, providing greater birth support. (Partner*: represents anyone who supports the mother as her birth companion)
- Pre birth bonding- the course covers many techniques and suggestions for pre birth bonding and is found to be a great way for couples to connect with each other and their preborn baby.
- Relaxation- couples report feeling totally relaxed after each session and find that the sessions soon become a highlight of their week. Learning a number a relaxation techniques during the course are extremely helpful in everyday life. If your partner suffers from anxiety or stress they have even more to gain from taking the course.
- Supported practice- as with anything, 'practice makes perfect'. Thus, the more often you experience this deeply relaxed state, the more familiar it becomes, and the easier it is to enter it on your birthing day.
- Fear Release- you and your birthing companion will be taught how to identify emotional stress before and during labour and how to release it. You will learn how to bring yourself into a deepened relaxation. When you are free from fear, you can achieve a relaxed state from the very onset of labour. These skills are only taught and practised when you attend the course. Additionally, they can be used to infuse calm into your everyday life- before, during and after your birthing day.
3:14 Why start the program so early? Why not wait until the end of your pregnancy like so many other childbirth programs?
The HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method is more than just an antenatal class, as it provides stress release techniques for daily living, throughout your pregnancy, birth and beyond. These techniques are best practiced on a regular basis so they become second nature for you to implement during your birthing day. Your birthing day is a major event so why leave it by chance or fate. Preparation with practice is the key to learning to cope with stress throughout your pregnancy and ultimately for birth and beyond.
So we recommend you start between 20 to 30 weeks of pregnancy giving you time to complete the 5 week course, absorb the content, practice the techniques and implement the skills into your daily life BEFORE BIRTH. This is so important, as you will then naturally and instinctively know how to react to stress and then when the time comes for your labour and you feel strong sensations you will be able to release the tension and work with your body RATHER than against it. Practice, practice, practice! The is no substitute, the more you practice the better prepared. So the more TIME you have to practice the better.
4:14 Is reading the HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method book enough preparation?
Marie Mongan, the founder of HypnoBirthing® highlights this by stating "this book serves as a textbook, used in conjunction with the instruction you will receive in a series of HypnoBirthing® childbirth education classes taught by certified practitioners affiliated with the HypnoBirthing® Institute. The comprehensive instructions and discussions covering specific methods, scripts and demonstrations provided by your HypnoBirthing® practitioner during classes will prove to be invaluable." (3rd edition, xviii)
5:14 Is HypnoBirthing® just for 'hippies'?
No! HypnoBirthing® is inclusive, regardless of your social and cultural orientation. It is designed especially to serve the 95 percent of families whose pregnancies fall into the normal, low risk or no risk categories.
6:14 What qualifications do HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method Practitioners have?
All Certified HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method Practitioners of the highest standing carry the GOLD SEAL of Approval on their website, along with a certificate bearing their name and qualifications signed by Marie F. Mongan. This is the only authentic and recognised certification by the HypnoBirthing® Institute.
The HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method has certified educators in 46 countries and each country has a Steering Committee to ensure that the program remains updated with current research and evidence based childbirth education. This means that the Steering Committee for each country provides the best standard of HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method childbirth education to best suit the local Health Care Model and Midwifery Practice.
7:14 How do I know which HypnoBirthing class is the original program by Marie Mongan?
The word 'hypnobirthing' is now used broadly for many other childbirth education classes that incorporate relaxation and birth hypnosis. So, this can be confusing for expecting couples to find the original and longest standing HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method course.
The best ways to search for the original program by Marie Mongan is to look for the Gold Seal highlighting the high standard of teaching. Other ways include:
- The HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method program stands out from the rest as it has a capital H and a capital B in the word HypnoBirthing. This is part of the HypnoBirthing copyright laws.
- Ideally the word HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan should also include the registered trade mark symbol, such as HypnoBirthing®.
- It can be also be written as HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method.
- In recent years, the program may also be written as HypnoBirthing® International: The Mongan Method. Highlighting the Gold Standard of HypnoBirthing® globally.
8:14 Will I have a pain free birth?
HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method is realistic and does not promise painless birthing, although many do report having a relatively pain-free birth or one that they were able to manage easily. It is widely known that relaxation during labour and birth can greatly reduce pain by assisting in the release of Endorphin, a hormone that acts similar to administered analgesics.
With HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method you will learn many advanced relaxation and deepening techniques and learn to trust and work with your birthing body and thereby free yourself of the harmful emotions that leads to pain causing fear and muscle tension.
Read more on HypnoBirthing® labour and birth research here.
9:14 Does HypnoBirthing® offer more than just birthing techniques?
Yes! HypnoBirthing® is as much a philosophy (a way of thinking) of birth as it is a technique or method of birthing. The basis tenet of the program is that childbirth is a normal, natural and healthy function for women. As such, birth can be accomplished gently and calmly for the very large number of women who are not in a high-risk situation. HypnoBirthing® aims to educate and empower parents so they fully understand their birth options and choices.
10:14 What is Hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a naturally occurring form of deep relaxation and inner concentration. We all experience hypnosis as a part of our everyday lives, e.g. when doing things on autopilot like driving, being engrossed in a good book or TV programme, it is similar to day dreaming or when starring into a fire.
Hypnosis is NOT sleep, your body is deeply relaxed, but you are awake, alert and fully in control. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis, even when facilitated by a therapist. All this means is that you give yourself permission to relax in order to relax deeply.
Dr James Braid (1795- 1860) coined the word "hypnosis" from the Greek word hypnos. The American Medical Association (AMA) recognised hypnosis in 1958. The common applications for hypnosis are Clinical Hypnotherapy, Therapeutic Hypnosis, Medical Hypnosis and Birth Hypnosis.
11:14 What is Birth Hypnosis?
Birth Hypnosis is designed to help the birthing mother to achieve an ultimate depth of relaxation, so that her body and birthing muscles are free of tension, so that the body can perform its natural function. Birth Hypnosis assists the mother in releasing any fears of birthing or emotions that could be limiting.
12:14 Will I be in a trance or asleep?
No, you will not be in a trance or asleep. You will be fully awake through out and during labour, you will be aware of your body moving through the birthing process. You will be conversant and in good spirits- totally relaxed, but fully in control. When it is time for your baby to be born, you will be fully awake and involved.
13:14 Will HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method be useful if medical intervention or a surgical birth is required?
HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method is a collaborative method of childbirth, not an alternative method. The content of this program is not intended to replace the advice and care of a health care provider. The program philosophy does not preclude the introduction of medical intervention, per se. It precludes the introduction of arbitrary or unnecessary medical interventions.
HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method preparation is beneficial for all families, including those who, because of genuine special circumstances find themselves in a category of high- risk when their birthings take an unexpected turn.
Should the course of birthing run differently from what was planned, and medical intervention or even surgical birth is required, HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method enables parents to remain calm, relaxed and in control as they discuss options, evaluate the situation and make informed decisions concerning the birthing.
14:14 Can I attend other childbirth education classes?
The choice to attend other childbirth education programs in conjunction with HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method, is entirely up to you. However, it is important to know that HypnoBirthing® Mongan Method is a comprehensive natural childbirth program that can be taken alone.